Announcing the Supernova Friendship Block Swap

April 29, 2014

Beginning in May, my friend

rsz_1friendship_button_small FINAL
image-331
Here’s a good look at the gorgeous Supernova quilt from Lee at Freshly Pieced.

Lee' class=
image-332

Supernova, by Lee at Freshly Pieced

It’s a classic.

Sandra and I figured that there might be a few people like us who missed out on Lee’s original QAL last year.  SO… we are reviving it and adding a new twist.  A friendship twist!

Here’s the idea: To learn more about each other and deepen our friendship, each time we send our surprise package with a new block in it to our partner, we’ll also include a letter with few details about ourselves.

We’ll add additional questions on our blog each month for you to answer too.  Sandra’s a journalist, and I’m a psychologist, so we’re both pretty adept at asking questions!

By the time we finish with the quilt I am sure we will develop a wonderful friendship.  What’s not to love about that?

Sandra and I invite you to choose a friend, near or far, and get started.  It will be so much fun!

Here are the details:

1. Find your partner. It can be someone who lives nearby or an invisible blogging friend you’ve never met in person, but ideally, it should be someone you don’t know well. Neither you nor your partner needs to have a blog to participate. Just leave a comment on this post if you plan to participate. Provide a link back to your blog (if you have one), or with your email, and we’ll include your name on our Supernova blogroll.

2. Choose a color palette, e.g., blues and golds, black and white, warm or cool, or a fabric line to use in your blocks.   Check out the site Design Seeds for help with choosing a beautiful palette.

3. Each month you’ll make two identical Supernova blocks; one you’ll keep and send the other to your swap-pal. Your pal will do the same thing for you. The deadline to send your first block to your partner is June 15. The remaining blocks will be due July 15Aug. 15Sept. 15 and Oct. 15. Your finished quilt will be comprised of both your blocks and your partner’s blocks, making it a very special finish… like none other.

4. Hop on over to Freshly Pieced for the fabric requirements and the guidelines for planning, cutting and piecing your blocks.  Lee has already spelled out all the details for us!  It couldn’t be easier.  Sandra and I will post tips and tricks along the way.

5. If you’re a blogger, write a post announcing your plans to participate and be sure to link back to either this post or Sandra’s announcement so we can get the word out to more people in the quilting world. The more the merrier.  You can also copy the Supernova Friendship Block Swap Button, found on my sidebar, and add it to your blog.

6. Each month, we’ll have a question or two for you and your partner to answer and send with your block. Month 1 is a list of 25 Things You Don’t Know About Me. They can be as silly or as serious as you would like. (Here’s an example of a 25 Things List published in US Magazine, by actress Kerry Washington).

7. For bloggers, when you post your progress each month, include at least one new thing you learned about your partner (with his or her permission, of course!) from our follow-up questions, and include links back to Stephanie’s and my blogs.

8. Post photos of your blocks on the Supernova Friendship Block Swap group on Flickr. To be eligible for the prize, you both have to post photos of your completed quilts. (Make sure your name is attached to them in some way so we know who you are.)

9. Make a new life-long friend and end up with a gorgeous Supernova quilt to memorialize the development of a beautiful new bond.

To sweeten the deal, we’re even offering a prize to the winning partnership, judged by none other than Lee herself! We are working on putting a fun prize package together.  So far, we know that the prize package will include:

Splendor 1920s, by Bari J for Art Gallery, Cool Palette
image-333

Splendor 1920s, by Bari J for Art Gallery, Cool Palette

For our fabrics, Sandra and I have chosen Splendor 1920 by Bari J. as a base.  I will be taking the cool palette and Sandra will be working with the warm.  Both will be complemented by additions from our stashes. We’ll use Art Gallery’s Linen White as a background fabric.

Splendor 1920s by Bari J for Art Gallery, warm pallette
image-334

Splendor 1920s by Bari J for Art Gallery, warm pallette

Have you felt how soft Art Gallery fabric is?  It’s in a category all its own as far as quilting cottons go.

Since the blocks are so large (18″ unfinished), we’ll each make five, one per month. That’ll give us enough for the quilt top and an extra block to use on the back, or we can use it to make a mini quilt.

The fabulous thing about the Supernova pattern is just how different it can look depending on the fabrics you use. Check out these two very different approaches:

Patrick' class=
image-335

Patrick’s Supernova. Check out his fabulous blog at Straight Stitching Singer.

Supernova by Vicki at Sew Inspired with watermark
image-336

Vicki’s Supernova, from Sew Inspired

If you haven’t seen Vicki’s blog at Sew Inspired, or Patrick’s at Straight Stitching Singer, you definitely should. They both have lots of inspiration for this project and lots of others too!

Well, what do you think?  Are we crazy, or does this sound like fun?

C’mon, please join us.  Send us a comment today!  And if you just can’t figure out who to partner with, leave me a comment, along with your basic style… modern, traditional, modernitional…. colors or fabric lines you love, etc.  I will keep track of interested singles and try to make some friendship matches!

**If you leave me a comment about participating and you don’t get an email back from me in 48 hours, then you’re probably a no reply blogger. I will reply directly to your comment on my blog, and hopefully you’ll check back and give me your email.  I don’t want to miss you!

You Might Also Like

163 Comments

• Reply Lin Marsh May 12, 2014 at 3:08 am

I’m ready to choose fabrics, but a little confused. The sample quilt shows the x’s by color. Your fabric samples have the colors mixed. I’m not in Flickr, so can’t look there. Do we just pick
    9-12(?) fabrics we like together and for for it. I see some low-volume prints included in the sample quilt. Where do those figure in? Also the last fabric listed in the requirements–where is that one?
    I’m sorry, I’m confused.
    Lin

• Reply thefloralsuitcase May 12, 2014 at 2:27 pm

ooh i would love to join! a little bit about me i’m 22 and from the uk! i think a grey or beige background colour would be really nice for this quilt. i love anything bright, fun, modern fabrics (no batiks) like denyse schmidt, jeni baker, sarah jane. but i also really like the vintage-y look like all the the ditsy floral prints. if anybody is looking for a partner my email address is thefloralsuitcase@gmail.com and my blog is http://www.thefloralsuitcase.com 🙂

• Reply Belinda May 13, 2014 at 4:09 am

I’m still looking for a partner, I sent you an email. Thanks.

• Reply Chris Teague May 13, 2014 at 9:42 am

I’m in! Off to find a buddy.

• Reply Kim A. Reid May 17, 2014 at 6:03 am

I’m in with Chris. Having fun already getting to know Chris.

• Reply Belinda May 13, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Rachel (thefloralsuitcase) and I are going to partner up for this. So excited to get started!

• Reply Belinda May 13, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I forgot to leave my email arlodeanquilts@yahoo.com. Thanks.

• Reply supernova friendship block swap | wips & tuts May 13, 2014 at 6:28 pm

[…] found out about the (remake of the) swap on late night quilter’s blog, while reading through the quilt section of wordpress. i instantly knew i had to […]

• Reply Elita @ Busy Needle Quilting May 14, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hiya! You can count me & my partner Francine (mochawildchild) on the list! Fabric ordered, waiting impatiently! 🙂

• Reply Carrie Franklin May 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm

I forgot to leave my partner’s email – it is suemariotti at Gmail.com

• Reply Carrie Franklin May 14, 2014 at 4:33 pm

…and my email is cesfranklin at Gmail.com. Excited to participate!!!

• Reply thequiltedcat May 14, 2014 at 5:32 pm

I’m interested in joining, but do not have a partner yet. Anyone want to partner up? I really like the modern traditional look but am pretty flexible with fabric choices. Email is on my blog.

• Reply thequiltedcat May 14, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Looks like I have found a partner – thanks, Cindy!!

• Reply Chris Teague May 14, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Yea!!! I have a partner!!!

• Reply Jessica D May 14, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I would like to join, but need a partner. Anyone need one? Email me at jnunn201@gmail.com. Thanks!

• Reply Sonya V May 15, 2014 at 1:09 am

I sent you an email!!

• Reply Jessica D May 15, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Sonya and I are now partners!

• Reply Kimberly Norman May 19, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Sorry I would love to join but realistically know I don’t have any extra time right now. My oldest son is getting married and my youngest son is possibly going to be a father in Oct so have to get busy making baby things.

• Reply Kimberly Norman May 14, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Would love to do this but unfortunately will be busy making baby things this year for my first grandchild. Hopefully will be able to join in next year.

• Reply Gaillery May 15, 2014 at 2:14 am

I have never done a quilt along but am excited to participate. I need a partner.

• Reply Sue Sews Too May 15, 2014 at 3:11 am

Just thought I should confirm that fellow Aussie’s Carlie Lincoln * Suesews Too are joining in and have their first block underway!

• Reply Marsha May 15, 2014 at 3:14 am

I have participated in a mystery quilt and have a friend who is joining me in this friendship quilt.

• Reply Deb P May 16, 2014 at 2:49 am

I am partnering with Amy McQueen from Texas, have never met her and just recently knew about her from a swap.
    Will you have a button to place on our blog?

• Late Night Quilter
      Reply Late Night Quilter May 16, 2014 at 3:29 am

That’s great news Deb! There’s a button with HTML on my sidebar that you can grab.

• Reply Chris Teague May 16, 2014 at 11:00 am

OK… now I have a big question for you. I have read over the planning and cutting instructions over at the Freshly Pieced link and I wonder if those are for the making of ONE quilt. As we are swapping with a partner, will we be cutting TWICE the amount as instructed? Should I have collected TWICE the amount of fabric required?

• Late Night Quilter
      Reply Late Night Quilter May 16, 2014 at 11:49 am

Good question! 20-22 fat quarters is enough to make 1 quilt. Your partner should have bought the same amount of fabric (and she’ll be sending you a block each month too). So you have enough for two quilts.

• Reply Chris Teague May 17, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Thank you!!!!

• Reply Anny Schomburg June 17, 2014 at 9:34 pm

So, are we supposed to buy the same fabric? or can it just be in the same colors? Also in the end we should have 18 blocks?

• Late Night Quilter
          Reply Late Night Quilter June 28, 2014 at 3:46 am

Sorry for my late response to your comment. I switched to a new blog platform and it messed me up big time. But I’m catching up now and getting the hang of things.

You can pick any coordinating fabrics that you and your partner like. It could be a whole line, with stash fillers, or just a color palette that you both like. Just make sure you keep the background color the same.

In the end, if you made your first swap June 15th, and keep swapping once per month til October, you should have 10 blocks. 9 for the front and one for the back… or a pillow or wall hanging.. whatever you want. But I guess you could keep going past October and make as many as you want!

• Reply Aviatrix Medallion, Border 1 + More | the quilted cat May 16, 2014 at 3:13 pm

[…] about the Supernova Friendship Block Swap? You can find all the details on Stephanie’s blog, Late Night Quilter. I posted in the comments about needing a partner and found one within hours. I’m happy to […]

• Reply On Balance and Taking a Breather | melintheattic May 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm

[…] and I found a real-life connection and now I wish I had more time and energy to do her awesome Supernova Friendship swap. You should check it out if you’ve been wanting to quilt with a friend, whether long […]

• Reply Theresa Childs May 17, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I’m pairing up with Dary Childress from Modern Cozy.

• Reply Belinda May 17, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I have found a new partner, I will be doing this with Erica!

• Reply Erica Toole May 17, 2014 at 8:21 pm

I’m a late starter but I will be joining the swap and I have a partner.

• Reply Rachael May 17, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I’m back looking for a partner 🙂 my email is thefloralsuitcase@gmail.com

• Reply Amy c May 18, 2014 at 1:47 am

Just wondering how many pairs you have now?

• Late Night Quilter
      Reply Late Night Quilter May 18, 2014 at 2:14 pm

We have 30 pairs from my blog and 12 pairs on my partner Sandra’s blog!

• Reply Josi May 18, 2014 at 4:35 am

I am so excited, I am in and will partner with Angie! Thus is my first blog hop and I am seriously considering starting a blog soon!! Just trying to come up with a name:)

• Reply Catherine Silling May 18, 2014 at 5:12 am

I have a partner named Barb F. in Oregon. Thanks to Stephanie for matching us up. I made my first TWO identical blocks yesterday and today. They are fun to make and directions are good. There is one tidbit of confusion for me in the sewing directions, but I guess if my blocks came out correctly, as they appear to have done, it is ok that I got confused! Catherine S. in NM

• Reply amiablequilts May 18, 2014 at 5:23 am

I saw the same error in the instructions.
      Step 5 and 6 follow step 3 so it’s really just a bad picture on step.

• Reply amiablequilts May 18, 2014 at 5:25 am

It’s just a bad picture in step 4.

• Reply Nancy Swanwick May 18, 2014 at 1:49 pm

My new friend Gail and I each have some traveling scheduled, so after our background fabric arrived, we both dove in and made our blocks. Both were in the mail on Friday, so now we’re anxiously awaiting each other’s blocks.

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Late Night Quilter wrote:

> amiablequilts commented: “It’s just a bad picture in step 4.” >

• Reply Catherine Silling May 20, 2014 at 3:49 am

finally getting back to you. yes, it is the printed directions of step 4 as you guessed! where it say three go in one direction and the last one goes in the other………..WHY? What is the reason for this? then it shows later in step 9 to repeat with all your othr squares and rectangles. I don’t know why this stumps me so, but it does. but my block came out properly so why am I concerned!!! I love this block.

• Reply Stash Building: Shot Cottons and more! | The Night Quilter May 18, 2014 at 3:50 pm

[…] on a new quilt challenge is the fabric shopping that ensues. Since I’ve officially joined the Supernova Friendship Swap partnering with Laura from Adventures of a Quilting Diva, and we finally decided on our color plan […]

• Reply Carrie Franklin May 19, 2014 at 4:26 am

I signed up earlier but haven’t been getting the emails, and I don’t want to miss out! Can you please add me to the email list? cesfranklin@gmailcom 🙂 Thanks!!

• Reply Kim A. Reid May 20, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Good morning!
    I love love love the quilt and the friendship swap. My partner, Chris Teague, has already posted – so we are a team.
    Chris lives in Louisana and I in North Carolina, so we had not met prior to this and probably would never of met if not for this friendship swap. We have become friends almost instantly!
    We are having a great time getting to know each other, working hard on our ideas, instant messaging everyday, several times a day.
    At the end of this, as I see it, I will have a great new quilt and a great new friend. This was a fantastic idea! Thank you

• Reply Cathy Smith May 20, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I found someone on facebook to join me in this swap and I’m so excited. Then my aunt came forward and wants to do it too so I’m doing it twice!!! Thanks for the fun quilt along.

• Reply Gaillery May 22, 2014 at 2:54 am

Thank you for finding me a partner, Ellen, in Michigan. I’m so excited and we have so much in common. We’ve decided on a color scheme so now the fun begins.

Gaillery

• Reply Toya Charles May 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I need a partner if it’s not to late. I like Modern fabrics, Solids, and Batiks. I have a blog ( I don’t use). Why? I’m not sure. LOL. Love grey and black backgrounds against brights!

• Reply Sunday Stash: Nordika | Drowning in Fabric May 25, 2014 at 9:58 pm

[…] decided to participate in the Supernova Friendship swap as one of the million swaps I joined lately (what am I thinking?). I’ve paired up with […]

• Reply Megan Jorrick May 28, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Ok I’d be a late started but I am willing to play catch up if anyone else is willing to join! I have a blog (sewstitchingcute.blogspot.com) – anyone up for the late start and catch up?!? Email me if so! stitchingcute@gmail.com

About me: I am nearing 30 faster than I want, I quilt like a mad woman and probably have too many projects going on right now. I live in KS. I do have a full-time job but begin sewing and quilting almost the moment I get home. The great thing about where I work is I get to do a lot of my blogging at work as well as any reading and research for designs, fabrics, etc.

• Reply Jen May 31, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Kristie
    http://www.sewsunshine.blogspot.com/?m=1 and I are partnering up for this! We are so excited to get started!

• Reply Amy McQueen June 9, 2014 at 8:09 pm

My partner Deb has already posted. We both participated in a swap on Facebook recently. She asked if I’d like to partner up w/ her on this… and I’m so excited to be making this quilt & getting to know her. My first block will go out in today’s mail. 🙂

• Reply aschnell June 9, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I’ve joined up with my friend Christina!

• Reply Supernova Friendship Block Swap | Just a Quick Moment June 9, 2014 at 9:20 pm

[…] Search for: […]

• Reply Rockin Possum Magic | Riddle and Whimsy June 10, 2014 at 7:41 am

[…] my plate, I’m already participating in two quilting bees, a round robin, a block swap and a year-long quilt along. What’s one more Round Robin to add to […]

• Reply Julesras June 10, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Julie L in Utah and Joyce D in New Jersey are swap partners and we are basing our colors on Kona Solids – Salmon, Tangerine, Cypress, Bluegrass and Blush Pink, after a color combo we both liked on Design Seeds. I have my list of 25 things and my 1st block ready to go today! Yay!

• Reply Julesras June 10, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I am not getting the emails – if you could add me…busybeepreschool@hotmail.com

• Reply 2014 New Quilter Blog Hop | Late Night Quilter June 11, 2014 at 4:10 am

[…] have a few fun projects going on.  My friend Sandra Louise and I started the Supernova Swap, where quilters all over the world are matching up with a partner they don’t know and making […]

• Reply 468 Ironwood DriveKatie June 11, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Kaselfamily1@verizon.net. Very excited for this experience!!!

• Reply Kristin McLoughlin June 14, 2014 at 1:32 am

Better late than never! I’m in with Jody M. Did my list today, the block tomorrow just under the wire! We are using Tula Pink’s acacia line with Kona coal as the background. 🙂

• Reply supernova friendship quilt along, first block | wips & tuts June 15, 2014 at 5:47 pm

[…] back to stephanie’s and sandra’s blog, for a chance to hopefully win some goodies when it’s all said and […]

• Reply Nicole Stanford June 16, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Please, please do something like this again. I didn’t get in on time! It’s probably for the best though, we’re closing on our home in less than a month. My sewing machine is the last thing I will pack!

• Reply Catherine S. June 18, 2014 at 5:54 am

does anyone understand why in #4 direction for sewing block it says to make one block differently????

• Reply Amy June 28, 2014 at 1:23 am

Catherine S if you email me I can send you a series of photos of the block in process- you will see where one of 4 are reversed to make the pattern.
      Acola2658@yahoo.com

• Reply Catherine S July 3, 2014 at 1:31 am

re: your note about #4 supernova direction, one different
        I cant figure it out but my blocks are coming out correctly, so I must be doing it right. sometimes instructions just stump me 🙂
        Thanks, Catherine

• Reply Susi June 21, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Oh I would love to do this but I have no partner! I´m a bit of a Heather Ross addict so if anyone is in the same boat let me know 😉

• Reply joyce doenges June 23, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I have received my first block from my partner, Julie. I just love what she sent me! Here is a link to my block:

• Reply Supernova Friendship Block Swap, Month 1 | the quilted cat June 24, 2014 at 5:54 pm

[…] Stephanie over at Late Night Quilter and Sandra over at One Million Stitches came up with a fun twist on the typical quilt-along. For […]

• 1 2 3