Announcing the Supernova Friendship Block Swap

April 29, 2014

Beginning in May, my friend

rsz_1friendship_button_small FINAL
image-331
Here’s a good look at the gorgeous Supernova quilt from Lee at Freshly Pieced.

Lee' class=
image-332

Supernova, by Lee at Freshly Pieced

It’s a classic.

Sandra and I figured that there might be a few people like us who missed out on Lee’s original QAL last year.  SO… we are reviving it and adding a new twist.  A friendship twist!

Here’s the idea: To learn more about each other and deepen our friendship, each time we send our surprise package with a new block in it to our partner, we’ll also include a letter with few details about ourselves.

We’ll add additional questions on our blog each month for you to answer too.  Sandra’s a journalist, and I’m a psychologist, so we’re both pretty adept at asking questions!

By the time we finish with the quilt I am sure we will develop a wonderful friendship.  What’s not to love about that?

Sandra and I invite you to choose a friend, near or far, and get started.  It will be so much fun!

Here are the details:

1. Find your partner. It can be someone who lives nearby or an invisible blogging friend you’ve never met in person, but ideally, it should be someone you don’t know well. Neither you nor your partner needs to have a blog to participate. Just leave a comment on this post if you plan to participate. Provide a link back to your blog (if you have one), or with your email, and we’ll include your name on our Supernova blogroll.

2. Choose a color palette, e.g., blues and golds, black and white, warm or cool, or a fabric line to use in your blocks.   Check out the site Design Seeds for help with choosing a beautiful palette.

3. Each month you’ll make two identical Supernova blocks; one you’ll keep and send the other to your swap-pal. Your pal will do the same thing for you. The deadline to send your first block to your partner is June 15. The remaining blocks will be due July 15Aug. 15Sept. 15 and Oct. 15. Your finished quilt will be comprised of both your blocks and your partner’s blocks, making it a very special finish… like none other.

4. Hop on over to Freshly Pieced for the fabric requirements and the guidelines for planning, cutting and piecing your blocks.  Lee has already spelled out all the details for us!  It couldn’t be easier.  Sandra and I will post tips and tricks along the way.

5. If you’re a blogger, write a post announcing your plans to participate and be sure to link back to either this post or Sandra’s announcement so we can get the word out to more people in the quilting world. The more the merrier.  You can also copy the Supernova Friendship Block Swap Button, found on my sidebar, and add it to your blog.

6. Each month, we’ll have a question or two for you and your partner to answer and send with your block. Month 1 is a list of 25 Things You Don’t Know About Me. They can be as silly or as serious as you would like. (Here’s an example of a 25 Things List published in US Magazine, by actress Kerry Washington).

7. For bloggers, when you post your progress each month, include at least one new thing you learned about your partner (with his or her permission, of course!) from our follow-up questions, and include links back to Stephanie’s and my blogs.

8. Post photos of your blocks on the Supernova Friendship Block Swap group on Flickr. To be eligible for the prize, you both have to post photos of your completed quilts. (Make sure your name is attached to them in some way so we know who you are.)

9. Make a new life-long friend and end up with a gorgeous Supernova quilt to memorialize the development of a beautiful new bond.

To sweeten the deal, we’re even offering a prize to the winning partnership, judged by none other than Lee herself! We are working on putting a fun prize package together.  So far, we know that the prize package will include:

Splendor 1920s, by Bari J for Art Gallery, Cool Palette
image-333

Splendor 1920s, by Bari J for Art Gallery, Cool Palette

For our fabrics, Sandra and I have chosen Splendor 1920 by Bari J. as a base.  I will be taking the cool palette and Sandra will be working with the warm.  Both will be complemented by additions from our stashes. We’ll use Art Gallery’s Linen White as a background fabric.

Splendor 1920s by Bari J for Art Gallery, warm pallette
image-334

Splendor 1920s by Bari J for Art Gallery, warm pallette

Have you felt how soft Art Gallery fabric is?  It’s in a category all its own as far as quilting cottons go.

Since the blocks are so large (18″ unfinished), we’ll each make five, one per month. That’ll give us enough for the quilt top and an extra block to use on the back, or we can use it to make a mini quilt.

The fabulous thing about the Supernova pattern is just how different it can look depending on the fabrics you use. Check out these two very different approaches:

Patrick' class=
image-335

Patrick’s Supernova. Check out his fabulous blog at Straight Stitching Singer.

Supernova by Vicki at Sew Inspired with watermark
image-336

Vicki’s Supernova, from Sew Inspired

If you haven’t seen Vicki’s blog at Sew Inspired, or Patrick’s at Straight Stitching Singer, you definitely should. They both have lots of inspiration for this project and lots of others too!

Well, what do you think?  Are we crazy, or does this sound like fun?

C’mon, please join us.  Send us a comment today!  And if you just can’t figure out who to partner with, leave me a comment, along with your basic style… modern, traditional, modernitional…. colors or fabric lines you love, etc.  I will keep track of interested singles and try to make some friendship matches!

**If you leave me a comment about participating and you don’t get an email back from me in 48 hours, then you’re probably a no reply blogger. I will reply directly to your comment on my blog, and hopefully you’ll check back and give me your email.  I don’t want to miss you!

You Might Also Like

163 Comments

• Reply Marci April 29, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I would love to get in on this if someone would like to partner. I’m a retired social worker enjoying my new hobbies of blogging and quilting. Am loving the warm palette.

• Reply T April 30, 2014 at 1:26 am

Love to! I’ve been called a confident beginner by those at our LQS. Love color, esp. partial to those blues and aquas, so cool palette for me. Love Kaffe Fassett, Art Gallery, Michael Miller’s Helen’s Garden and Cotton Couture, Amy Butler and beautiful batiks. Style… I like your word modernitional and colorful….l look forward to working with someone I’ve never met!

• Reply kittywilkin April 30, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Okay, I’m in! I love color, especially bold and bright contrasting colors paired with low volume and/or black & white prints. I think I have more of a modern style than traditional. I love Lotta Jansdotter, Carolyn Friedlander, Alison Glass, Art Gallery fabrics esp Leah Duncan and Bonnie Christine’s Sweet as Honey, and more I’m sure. I also really like bold tone on tone or even solid quilts. Contrast + color = lovely! Check out my blog to see my latest project (photo improvement in progress!) http://nightquilter.com/2014/04/30/dusting-off-the-old-canon/

• Reply kittywilkin April 30, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I’ve also recently been drawn to grey with splashes of teal, magenta and goldenrod.

• Reply laura west kong May 2, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Kitty, those are my fave colors too. 🙂

Want to partner? Laura from http://www.adventuresofaquiltingdiva.com

• Reply laura west kong May 2, 2014 at 1:14 pm

The brights/black and white/low volume that is, but your second palette also sounds like fun, buy I’d probably have to do a bit of shopping first. I don’t have a lot of gray in my stash. I recently counted it. There are 4. Lol

• Reply Sue April 30, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I would like to join in, any one in Australia? Need to keep the postage costs down! Like mostly modern quilts, have a stash I’d like to get into, cool colours of amy butler, and similar.

• Reply Carlie Lincoln May 2, 2014 at 9:33 am

Oohhh…I’m a Melburnian…would love to do this! I’m a busy mum of 16month& 3 year old boys& quilting keeps me from going nuts. Have made this block for a Bee recently& would love one in modern fabrics for myself

• Reply Amy April 30, 2014 at 10:03 pm

I would like to participate. ( no blog or website but I could set one up)
    Please find me a partner.
    I am an experienced quilter and
    would like to do bright multicolor batiks on mixed pale backgrounds.
    Let me know if you have someone similar or another idea- I am open to other ideas except primitive/country.

Thanks
    Amy C

• Reply LeeAnna Paylor May 2, 2014 at 12:58 am

Thanks for the wishes! Glad to hear you are working in yellows and oranges! I don’t know how to reply on google plus… I am hopeless!
    LeeAnna Paylor

• Reply Nancy Swanwick May 2, 2014 at 4:10 am

A new quilting Facebook friend contacted me tonight to participate with her in this qal. We both think it sounds like great fun, and we’re working out the details, so count us in. We’re considering bright batiks on black background.

• Reply Catherine Silling May 2, 2014 at 4:34 am

anyone need a partner for the quilt along? I live in NM, would prefer a partner in USA due to postage. cjsilling@gmail.com if interested.
    I do not have a blog. Catherine S.

• Reply Anna Kehl May 2, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I’ll be your partner! Do you have a color pallet you’re interested in? My only request is that we not use white or anything light colored for the background. I’ve done three quilt alongs that have had white as the background and I’ve realized that’s not my favoirte! You can email me at anna.alexia.kehl. I’m in Austin Texas. Am 30 something with a 16 month old baby and one on the way. I like modern and traditional quilts.

• Reply Catherine Silling May 2, 2014 at 4:37 am

oops, forgot to say, I would like to do this as a modern twist. colors open to discussion with partner. cjsilling@gmail.com

• Reply Cheryl K May 2, 2014 at 4:46 am

I would love to join the Super Nova Block Swap. My favorite color is turquoise so I would love to do my blocks out of that with a light gray background. I need a partner. Looking for a more modern look. My blog is http://sweetdreamsquilting.blogspot.com
    Can’t wait to get started.

• Reply Valerie May 2, 2014 at 11:21 am

I would like to participate as well I do love red white and blue colors but would be open to other color palette ,this will be fun if someone would like to join in with me … Thanks val

• Reply Amy c May 2, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Stephanie got T and I matched up yesterday and we chatted fabric by email for a couple hours- such fun!!!!!

Heading to the quilt store at lunch in hopes of having swatches in the mail this afternoon. Can’t wait to start.
    Thanks Steph!!!!

Amy C

• Late Night Quilter
      Reply Late Night Quilter May 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

I hope you have as much fun as Sandra and I have had so far!

• Reply T May 22, 2014 at 4:27 am

Thanks very much, Steph, for pairing Amy & me! We are both having so much fun with this project, emailing all the time and finding we are firing off each other’s synapses! Block status: Actually Amy’ s is completely & gorgeously done and mine is now finished. Her encouraging guidance got me through the challenge of piecing. We’ve already learned so much about each other. Even though we’re at opposite ends of the east coast, you’ve made us friends! Thank you Amy & Steph!
      T

• Reply Gail Maddick May 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Nancy Swanwick (above) and I are going to do this together. Batiks will be our fabrics, looking forward to joining in and learning more about my new online friend!

• Reply precutprincess May 2, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I would love to do this and especially make a new friend. I am a teacher in Ohio. Emptynester with a mini-schnauzer. I love the fabric of Bonnie and Camille from Moda. my favorites are Happy Go Lucky, Scrumptious and some of the checks, dots, and diagonals of April Showers. The new Miss Kate line coming out will be amazing! If you are in Canada or Australia you probably already have some! My other choices would be Tula Pink, Angela Walters fabric, Drift, Carolyn Friedlanders Botanics. Any takers? Please reply to my alternate email- dwarthen@laca.org as my blog is not active right now! Hope I can participate!

• Reply Melanie May 15, 2014 at 3:56 am

I’d love to partner with you! Sent you an email 🙂

• Reply precutprincess May 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Melanie I am not sure I got an email from you. I was just going back through this list and saw your comment. Didn’t mean to be rude and not answer!

• Reply joyce doenges May 3, 2014 at 2:29 am

I would welcome the opportunity to participate but would need to be paired up with another quilter. I have been quilting since ’78 and am now a teacher, newlywed and passionate fabric collector. I blog at scrappyhearts.com and I am currently exploring modern quilting but love traditional styles, civil war, ah heck – I love it all. Looking forward to participating! joycedoenges@gmail.com

• Reply cjsilling May 3, 2014 at 5:22 am

your X block in the quilt shown on your blog (Chocolate Hugs and Kisses) looks like the block for this block swap-the supernova block. CJS

• Reply Julesras May 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Did you get a partner? I also love civil war quilting. I just bought the Ladies Album bundle. I can’t bear to untie the ribbon. haha

• Reply Catherine S. May 3, 2014 at 5:14 am

I still need a partner, (Anna K. and I did not work out-) I’ve been sewing a long time and making quilts for 14 years. I would like to use color scheme as opposed to a specific fabric line if possible, but I am agreeable if that is the best way to go-I am retired cardiac tech and love to sew and quilt. this quilt pattern as shown on the flickr group really is appealing to me with the gray background.

• Reply cjsilling May 3, 2014 at 5:23 am

Administrator: please use my email address to contact me. Although I tried to set up a wordpress account, I am clueless as to how to use it. thanks. cjsilling@gmail.com

• Reply Carlie Lincoln May 3, 2014 at 11:22 am

Hi Stephanie, can’t for the life of me find your email….but feel free to pass my email details along to Sue also in Australia. Cheers Carlie

• Reply Rachel May 3, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I am so in. I also found a quilty friend Heather for this QAL.

• Reply Roberta Marcinak May 3, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I would love to join this group! I live in north, central NY and would love to exchange with anyone in the US. I have been quilting for 31 years and sewing for 45 years. I am newly retired and love the abundance of time I now have to spend in my sewing room.

• Reply Catherine S. May 8, 2014 at 1:31 am

hi Roberta, Stephanie has partnered us to do the block swap together. let me tell you a little about myself and you and I can “talk” . you can email me at cjsilling@gmail.com. What is your email?
      I am recently retired a bit earlier than planned, but happy about it. love to sew and quilt. I live in the Land of Enchantment, also known as New Mexico. Catherine

• Reply Jess @ Quilty Habit May 4, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Karin and I are going to be partners! We are deciding on our palette and are super excited! She is leighlaurelstudios(dot)com and I’m quiltyhabit(dot)blogspot(dot)com. 🙂

• Reply sfredett May 7, 2014 at 1:17 pm

That’s so awesome! I can’t wait to see both of your finished quilts!!

• Reply precutprincess May 4, 2014 at 9:35 pm

So excited! Anne Kehl and I are partnering and we are using Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander. I have wanted a quilt from this fabric but could not decide what to do. Now for some shopping!

dwarthen@laca.org

• Reply Heather May 4, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I am partnering with Rachel from http://liketosew.blogspot.com/ . Thanks for coming up with such a creative idea!

• Reply Yvonne May 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm

so excited to be joining. My partner, Michelle, and I were swap partners and this is a perfect opportunity to develop our friendship thru a shared interest.

• Reply Michelle H May 6, 2014 at 4:03 am

Yes–thank you for offering this and thank you to Yvonne for the invitation! Sooooo looking forward to this!

• Reply Supernova Friendship Block Swap: I’m In! | The Night Quilter May 5, 2014 at 2:26 pm

[…] week, Stephanie from The Late Night Quilter announced the Supernova Friendship Block Swap, and I was immediately hooked. (Yes, you read that right–The Late Night Quilter meets The […]

• Reply Caitlin May 5, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I would like to participate but have no partner. I like modern and solid background. Open to any color scheme. Do not blog right now.

• Reply Genevieve Graves May 8, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Hi Caitlin. Ill partner with you! I like modern fabrics in bright colors. Happy to do a solid background—I usually gravitate to white but would be open to other choices. I have a proto-blog, but haven’t made good blogging habits, so it’s not updated often. But you can see a bit of my style. I live in Santa Cruz, CA and would like to work from stash (so not a specific fabric line). Would that work for you?

• Reply Caitlin May 9, 2014 at 2:14 am

That would be great! I can also work from my stash. I am open to whatever background color. I am in Minnesota. I have not blogged on mine since 2012, but will post some of my recent work tonight.

• Reply Genevieve Graves May 10, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Caitlin, I’ve posted some possible fabric pulls on my blog. Go take a look and tell me what you think! Also, I left a comment on your blog with info about how to reach me directly by email.

• Reply Rhonda May 6, 2014 at 6:13 am

I’d like to join. I like the True Colors lines, like Joel Dewberry or Anna Maria Horner. Anyone want to partner? US address preferred.

• Reply Michelle May 7, 2014 at 12:34 am

I will be quilting along with my new Facebook and quilting friend Amanda! My blog is http://momentsintime-michelle.blogspot.com/.

• Reply Amanda Sheumaker May 12, 2014 at 11:59 am

Hi Stephanie. I’m looking so forward to being Michelle’s quilting partner. Thank you for this fun, friendship builder. 🙂

• Reply Joanna May 7, 2014 at 3:33 am

I’d like to join but I need partner! I don’t mind sending internationally though finding someone in Australia to swap with would be more ideal 🙂 I don’t know what to call my style though I love bright colours/modern fabrics. I also like low volume/text prints (which would make a great background for this!). Some of my favourite designers are Kate Spain, Bonnie and Camille and Anna Maria Horner.

• Reply Sarah J May 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm

My partner and I are jumping in!

• Reply Sarah J May 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

I’m alternating warm/cool palettes in a scrappy design to represent menopause!

• Reply GailM May 8, 2014 at 12:12 am

Are we going to receive some sort of email stating that we are joined up somehow? Or do we just follow the plan as per the other blog you showed us?

• Reply No Rest For The Wicked | Riddle and Whimsy May 8, 2014 at 6:10 am

[…] bounced around ideas. Was much easier than drawing hundreds of the block in my graph pad… ha. Check out the details at The Late Night Quilter and sign up with a new friend to make a Supernova […]

• Reply Kymberly May 8, 2014 at 11:28 am

Just saw this on Lee’s blog. If there’s anyone still wanting a partner I’d love to join. I lean towards cool colors and like a more modern pallet. I’ve been working with lots of solids lately. It could be fun to do this quilt with solids on a grey background, but I’m very flexible. My blog is http://peasinapodcreations.blogspot.com/

• Reply kymberlypease May 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I forgot to add that I live in the US. Due to the cost of shipping I’d prefer a partner who also live in the US.

• Reply Anett Edwards May 8, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Hallo ,I am in but need a partner ,I live in Cape Town ,South Africa,and love bright colours with modern designs,thanks

• Reply Pam May 9, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I would like to partner with you. I sent you an email via Facebook. Pam

• Reply Amy Verne May 8, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I would like to participate! I am a modern quilter who likes Lotta Jansdotter, geometrics, tone-on-tone, and anything by Zen Chic. I am collecting low volume fabrics and I’m currently on a blue/green kick. I love Jaquie Gehring’s work too. raverne at Comcast.net

• Reply Julie May 9, 2014 at 3:05 am

I’d love to join you if you don’t already have a partner. I sent you an email.

• Reply chelsey kohler May 8, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I would love to do this! I will need a partner! Relatively new quilter, love modern style, and i’m really digging Emmy Grace by barij for Art Gallery Fabrics! I live in the NY area and would like to be partnered with someone in the US if possible! So excited! Thanks!

• Reply Kate Yates May 9, 2014 at 12:03 am

I’d love to join! …but I have no quilting friends yet. I am pretty new to the quilting world, still a beginner. I like modern quilts, bold colors, geometric patterns, and I’d probably like to do this on a different (not white) background. My latest fabric obsession is Andie Hanna’s Fox and the Houndstooth. I am flexible and open to trying something fun and different. I live in FL. kateyates87 at gmail.com, Thanks!

• Reply Belinda May 12, 2014 at 7:27 am

Kate, if you do not already have a partner I would love to join you in this swap. I sent you an email.
      Belinda

• Reply Sue C May 9, 2014 at 2:10 am

I’m late to the party but I would love to join in. I would describe my quilting style as ‘rustic modern’. I ebb and flow between styles and have no favourite colour or fabric line….I love them all! I live in Australia so if anyone is looking for an international partner I would love to meet you. I blog at: curlyquesue(at)blogspot(dot)com(dot)au Email: sque65@gmail.com

• Reply Pam May 10, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I am looking for an international partner. I will send you an email

• Reply A day late….or more… | Smiles Too Loudly May 9, 2014 at 11:57 am

[…] of Jo, we’re participating in the Friendship Supernova Quilt along together. I’m really, really, really excited about this. Turns out we have nearly […]

• Reply jody May 9, 2014 at 2:16 pm

My partner Kristin (Undertherainbowquilting) and I are in! We just have to decide upon fabric.

• Reply jody May 9, 2014 at 2:24 pm

my email is jomellenthin@vassar.edu – Jody

• Reply Sarah May 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I would love to join in the fun. I do not have a partner in mind, if maybe you have a single quilter you could partner me with? Thank you, Sarah

• Reply Carrie Franklin May 10, 2014 at 12:38 am

I’m in! My partner is Sue Mariotti!

• Reply suesewcrafty May 11, 2014 at 12:30 am

woo hoo! Looking forward to this with Carrie!!

• Reply Sue Hall May 10, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Is it too late for me to ask for a partner? I live in OK, am an experienced beginner & love any kind of blues, but am flexible to any color really. sue.hall@msn.com sorry I don’t have my own blog though.

• Reply Lin Marsh May 11, 2014 at 1:47 am

I’d like to get in this too. I’m visiting from our new blog discussion group, and rad your blog. Would like to join this swap-a-roo! I’m pretty open to colors, my style is mod/traditional. I’m an experience quilter, in Michigan. Want US swapper only because of postage rates.
    Thanks,
    Lin

• Reply Pam May 11, 2014 at 2:01 am

Hi Lin I am looking for a partner. I also live in Mi. I describe myself as a modern quilter. I tried to send you an email but could not locate your address on your blog.
      Let me know if you are still looking to join.
      My blog http://planetfriendlyhandmades.blogspot.com
      Pam

• Reply Pam May 12, 2014 at 1:54 am

Lin and I are partners. Can’t wait for the fun

• Reply Sue Hall May 11, 2014 at 3:09 am

We’re in! The 2 Sue’s are partners — yeah! Sue C & Sue H.

• Reply Flying Through the Air | Riddle and Whimsy May 11, 2014 at 2:34 pm

[…] couple of days ago, I mentioned I joined up to the Supernova Friendship Block Swap. My partner is Sarah from Smiles Too Loudly. We have a verrrry similar taste in fabrics and I think […]

• Reply Barb Furlong May 11, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I would love to do this…I am a whatever quilter…meaning I don’t know what I am. I am a old quilter come back just since September. I will need a partner…love batiks,,don’t care what colors over all. I am a hand quilter turned machine quilter….I have a blog that I am starting up…http://www.theloveofquilting.com/ Barb Furlong, Oregon

• Reply Barb Furlong May 11, 2014 at 7:14 pm

and I need a partner, please…barb furlong

• Michelle Alderman
    Reply Michelle Alderman May 11, 2014 at 9:09 pm

So excited to do this swap with the Emmie Grace line and meeting a new quilting friend 🙂

• 1 2 3